Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Survey says...

The workshop went great--I got a ton of work done on the play (an entire new draft, actually), and the actors all really loved the show. We also had a set designer come in and come up with a design concept and groundplan, that we used to put some scenes on their feet. It was pretty amazing to see it in three dimensions, and also to think about the play in terms of another person's interpretation of the visuals.

The reading also was great! I just wish a few more people had seen it. I mean, I asked a lot of people to come, and I know they aren't all doing shows/going to a friend's birthday party/staying home washing their hair. And I know that if I were someone more "important", they would come. And I guess I'm speaking about the people in the theatre community, rather than the general public at large. I think I need to stop putting so much stock into the opinions of other people (or at least those particular people, because I get disappointed so often.

To be honest sometimes it feels like I'm going to have to convince every single person in the world of the value of my work, one by one. Okay, that sounds wanky. But do you know what I mean? Sometimes it feels like such a ridiculously arduous slog to get anyone to even look at my work, I start to question if it will ever be worth it.

My job is definitely not helping. Interestingly, I learned today that the "budget overage" that meant our department was accused of spending double the usual amount on staff wages and of mismanaging our whole budget by a ridiculous sum... was not a "budget overage" at all. It's either some kind of accounting error, or something someone forgot to label, or something that got charged to our budget by mistake. But this is the reason we weren't allowed to hire new staff (leaving us seriously understaffed), that ultimately caused my boss to quit suddenly in June. And those two things were what caused my other boss to go on stress leave, leaving moi in charge of the whole operation.

But it turns out it was just an "oops". An oops that, had it not happened, could have made my life significantly different for the last 4-5 months. An oops that, had it been addressed rationally rather than accusatorily could have meant a LOT less stress.

Oops.

I still haven't decided if I will wait to give my notice until December 1, or if I will do it sooner. I think it might be a relief to have it out in the open.

I'm excited to start thinking of all the things I'll do in January--my goal is to have that month mostly off, even if I don't get the grant.

No comments: