Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Workshop Week

Today was rehearsal day two of workshop week, and I have to say I'm not always sure what my role is... I mean obviously, my role is to learn about the play and improve it--to make sure that any group of actors and production team members would come to largely the same conclusions about what the play is about, whether or not they ever have access to me to explain things.

But I think I miss being able to really dig into a script and discuss it the way the actors get to. Part of it is that I've been working on this play for five years. I've had quite a few workshops, I've heard a lot of people read it. Some parts of the play haven't changed substantially for a long time... because they're right and don't need to be changed. But there are parts of the play that I am SO TIRED of hearing. Is that terrible to say? I'm ready for the next phase, which is to see people on their feet with it.

Work is work... the miracle of today was that this crazy lady who'd threatened to call and impart her crazy on me apparently called her crazy sister who brought the crazy down in person. All while I wasn't there. I am toying with the idea of telling them now that I won't be back after Christmas. I don't want to screw over my boss, who's done nothing to screw me personally. I don't know what to do there. I don't want a big drawn-out production about me quitting, which is what I think it would turn into if I gave my notice now.

I think I'm going to table thinking about it until after the reading on Saturday. Tomorrow they should get on their feet a bit, which will be pretty exciting.

No comments: