Monday, January 04, 2010

Ho-Hum Monday...

Just when I was getting used to being lazy (and catching up on daytime TV), I find myself back at work. Both jobs today, before heading home to cook up a tofurkey feast that I was going to have yesterday, but then had an emotional meltdown, so I decided it was best not to cook. Emotional meltdown does have lingering aftereffects, but none I want to whine about on teh internetz. Suffice it to say-- who knew nicotine was what was keeping me sane and level?

Yes, I am trying ONCE AGAIN to quit my on-again, off-again affair with cigarettes. Today is day 2.5, and I am looking forward to not wanting to constantly eat eat eat. I don't want to dwell on it at length, perhaps I'll write more once I have some real distance between myself and my quit date.

I postponed tomorrow's voice lesson until after we get back-- sometimes it's good to go work through these things, and sometimes it's best to let things blow over on their own. I think this is one of those "have a pity party for a couple of days" times. Meanwhile, I'm trying to formulate a plan of attack for script submissions. Lunchbox Theatre in Calgary is holding their annual new play submission, and this is the year I will submit! I actually got shortlisted for the Petro Can New Plays program a few years ago, and have had an idea since then that I think would be perfectly commercial and darkly funny. So all I have to do is write the first 15 pages, send it, then live in hope/fear that they ask to see more.

I'm also trying to come up with a list of theatres to submit a couple of plays to-- looking for US and Canada here, people, so please send along any suggestions of theatres you know that produce new plays!

I realized yesterday, in my state of mope-i-tude, that I spend an awful lot of time, energy, and sometimes money on things that just aren't appreciated by their target audience. Somehow I always manage to put myself last, putting off things I really want to do or accomplish for later. I don't know if it's a woman thing, a wanting-to-be-liked thing, or just a lame thing. But I want to stop doing that, in favor of doing things I really want to do! Because, as the hair colour commercial says, I'm worth it!

Some things on my list-- head on down to fabricland, get a membership, some fabric, and make something nice for myself with my poor lonely sewing machine. Donate blood, although I am scared of it. (That's not really doing something for myself, but it's easy to put off inevitably). Buy some new clothes. Get a massage.

If only I could win the lottery for myself, this would make accomplishing this stuff easier!

No comments: