Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thursday Thoughts

So a couple more reviews came in with slightly higher star ratings, and nicer things to say. We've just got two more shows left, one at 10pm this eveing, and one on Saturday around 6pm. I can't believe it's almost over--traditionally around this time of year it starts to get super-cold here. (I was horrified and outraged the year it snowed the first week of October and it just stayed on the ground till May.)

Things at work are really coming to a head... more flooding at the beginning of the week, and since our office is in the basement, that's not great news for us. I was thinking yesterday about how I would handle "Why did you leave your last job?" in a job interview, and I'm not sure... they say it's poor form to badmouth your previous employer. I'm torn between telling something of the truth, and just going with "It was time for a change." Although I'm pretty sure anyone hearing about the organizational dysfunction, flooding, fruit flies, and mice would probably understand why I left.

I have no immediate plans to go yet, but I'm thinking I might start applying for jobs. That's a big, unnerving step, because it means I really might be leaving. Brings the abstract into reality, as it were. I think things will ultimately break down here after the Labour Day weekend, which is the time of a big event here. I think my other colleague is planning on leaving immediately after that, and I have no intention of remaining here to do 4 people's jobs for no money.

That doesn't mean it's not scary, though.

Theatre-wise, what's going on... I have renewed my commitment to submit, submit, submit, which can be discouraging when there isn't a lot to submit to. But yesterday I was bold and submitted to A Big Fancy Theatre for a show. I've also submitted a couple of plays to some US companies, and I'm currently working on a grant application, and have the following stuff waiting in the wings: another grant application, application to Big Fancy Play Development Program, application to an artist intensive next may, and a new draft of the play I've been workshopping.

Theoretically, all these things should happen before the middle of September.

I think it's going to be a busy three weeks!

No comments: