Monday, August 20, 2012

Reviews and rethinking

So, the reviews are in, and they are less than kind... one reviewer just didn't like the play, and two others said very nice things (to the effect that they really enjoyed it), but we are low stars across the board because we are "fluff". Now, I think fluff has its place in any medium--sometimes you don't want to wrap your head around some high-concept, philosophically challenging, intellectually provocative thing. Sometimes you just want to watch something that's entertaining and have fun. I think that's what this show is--just an entertaining amusement that's fun. We have fun doing it, and audiences don't seem to have been affected (though I suspect the producer is comping some folks, so we'll see how that affects the bottom line).

I have written reviews before, and it's difficult. As a practicing artist, I can't help but remember that every project, no matter how well or poorly executed, was once a thrilling germ of an idea, once that moved the writer and collaborators to go through the hard work of creating it and bringing it to fruition. I tried not to be a mean reviewer--I think sometimes reviewers are tempted to make their review about how clever and funny they are, which of course makes the review about them and not about the project they attended. As a reviewer, I tried to give the reader an idea of what they could expect, what the overall experience would be. Of course, I did give an opinion, but reviews are just that: opinions. If you read enough of them, you'll start to realize whose taste you agree with, and who you think is just a complete nimrod.

We have a couple of days off before we go back to it, and this means that I'm back at my job. There's been another high-level sudden defection, at least according to the rumor mill--nothing has been confirmed. It will, of course, send everyone in the higher echelons spiralling into crisis mode and panic. And my compensation (for doing the jobs of a few other people along with my own since June) will fall farther down the list. I can't help but feel it's a bit humiliating to have to ask to discuss this for the FOURTH TIME. I mean, if it were a priority, it would have been taken care of one of the first three times I asked, right?

My colleague here has asked me what I'm going to do. Part of me thinks I should just cut my losses and go. Part of me thinks I should ask one more time, and be clear that it is for the last time--I'm well aware that I could be paid more elsewhere for less work. Part of me wants to just bring it up publicly at this week's staff meeting, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of confrontation. Anyhoo, happy Monday to you all!

No comments: