Monday, August 01, 2011

Accursed sugars!

So this week, I had a follow-up visit to my friendly neighbourhood dietician. The results? After 2 months of faithfully following her suggestions and consulting with my Canada's Food Guide-- nothing. Not one single pound gone. Actually, I gained a pound since my last weigh-in with her.

Which I guess was not what she was expecting. In fact, she seemed quite puzzled. And I wrote down everything. Like the occasional twizzler at work everything. And she still said I eat better than the vast majority of clients she sees.

After thinking for a minute, she said "Let's try something different."

Something different turns out to be a diabetic diet. Like, with exchanges and stuff. To somehow restrict the delicious carbs and balance them with protein and see if that works. Which seems a little more involved than my former "eat a balanced 1300-1500 calories a day" plan. Like planning x number of carbs with x number of proteins.

Which is fine(ish), and I've planned this week already-- though it involves me eating pretty much the same things every day for all meals and snacks except dinner. Which will still be fine(ish) except I'm going to be traveling to a wedding and will be having unpredictable on the road food... oops. I suppose I'll have to resist the temptation to be "on vacation and thus eating french fries all day".

I'm not too sure what happens if this doesn't work-- here's hoping it does. I was going to head back to ye olde doctor in September if, after 6 months of eating well and exercising, there is still no weight-loss action.

Then again, if it does work, am I stuck eating the same 2 meals and 2 snacks forever? With only the same 5 dinners for variety?

Here's hoping it works anyway.

3 comments:

Dr. Matt said...

I was following a plan along those lines when I dropped a bunch of weight two years ago: each meal had a certain number of exchanges of each type, and I tried to schedule them fairly regularly and log everything I was eating. I didn't really find it that restrictive in terms of the content of different meals, only the sheer amount.

uberviolet said...

Good to hear that it works! I find it a little restrictive just in my vegetarian ways-- since beans count as both carb and protein, I find it tough to get in all the protein without sitting down to a delicious bowl of chick peas with 1 tsp butter or something.

uberviolet said...

Oh, and it's strange-- I actually was counting calories previously... I'm still eating the same number of calories as I was before, but I guess now it's distributed differently or something.
We shall see!