Friday, October 23, 2009

brand recognition

Apparently this is something I need to focus on. My brand, that is. After last weekend of extended members of my family telling me about how I'm a stage manager (which I retired from years ago), and the registry lady this morning saying she'd seen my husband in numerous shows and had heard of me... I'm a designer, right? Stage manager? Something else? It becomes clear to me that I need to somehow let people know what I do. I mean, it's great that they've heard of me. But they never seem to know why.

I run into this a lot, actually. My name is familiar to theatregoers, but no one can quite place what I do. Doesn't help that J spent a couple of seasons being quite the darling of the scene here. Everyone's heard of J and his playwriting buddies, but I'm more of a... vague memory somehow.

I suppose I need to get out there. I thought I was trying to, maybe I need to try harder. Or maybe there's only so hard you can try here, maybe I need to try and make a splash in a bigger market.

In any case, self-promotion. Branding. How do I do that, exactly...?

No comments: